Seven months earlier, we were packing our bags for our very first vacation with a toddler. It was our very first real vacation ever actually, where my husband actually took time off of work to go somewhere. Those of you who have traveled with small children before will appreciate the amount of work that went into getting ready. But as a new mom, I didn't until that week. So we were running quite a bit behind. Of course it didn't help that I thought my home had to be showroom ready before we left, or that the ONLY thing my husband was more Type A about than me was being "on time." (For what, an appointment with the hotel desk clerk? :) )
I, however, was not on time. Not with packing and not in another certain area that was going to DRIVE ME CRAZY if I didn't check before we left. So, literally as the last thing I did before we locked up and left, I took the little stick into the bathroom "just to see." I really thought even if I was pregnant there was a good chance it was too early to show up on a test, but the thought of a whole week away with that wonder in the back of my mind was too much. What I didn't plan on was how crazy it would make me to know, but have to wait a whole week to share because that was a year or two before cell phones. At least for us. (Boy, do I feel old typing that.)
Our trip was AMAZING!!! We stayed with old friends who had recently moved to beautiful Colorado and we told them first only to explain the need to use their phone for two long distance calls -to our parents, of course. We enjoyed the week and basked in all the blessings we were finally feeling after such a rough couple of years when my husband had to take over his father's company after his surprising death.
It must have been something about sitting on the knowledge of our impending arrival for 10 whole days before returning home, but we couldn't spread the news quickly enough when we returned. At that time our church was very small with very few young families, so the news of a new baby on the way was pretty big. A couple of the elderly people were so eager they even gave us gifts within just a few days......
Tuesday, March 11, 2008
Our Miracle Girl (Part2)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
I'm loving reading this - you can just feel the anticipation building up!
It's so fun to read about the coming of babies...even when they aren't so little anymore!
Post a Comment